Wednesday 17 October 2012

Code mixing, code shifting

Since moving to Morocco code mixing has become part of my daily life. I spend most of my time speaking English (a good thing too, otherwise I'd never achieve anything), but constantly find myself adding Darija (Morccan Arabic) phrases. It's something which Moroccans do unconsciously with Darija and French, and occasionally Spanish and English, and is both hugely humbling to an English speaker, rich in layers of meaning and a wonderfully rich linguistic melange. Here are some Darija phrases which it's easy to throw into my everyday speech, whether it's French or English:

Hamdullah (Thanks to Allah - also used as a response to the question "How are you?", whether you want to give a positive or negative answer: the pragmatic meaning is inferred by the listener)
Inshallah (God willing - general future form)
Saafi (That's OK / That's enough)
Mushee mushkil (No problem)
Wakha (OK)
La! (No - best said in the style of a Moroccan mum)
Khoya (Mate / Bro)
Khti (Sis - there is conflicting feedback as to whether this is appropriate or not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment